Reality .vs. Perception of Control -- Commentary

I had some thoughts regarding the feeling of verses the reality of letting go and being in your control. One way to think of it is to realize that there are really only three possibilities. When under, I may be more under your influence than I realize/feel, I may be aware of exactly to what degree I am under your influence, or I can think/feel I am more under your influence than I really am. Last week I was probably thinking and feeling that I was more under than I probably was. My inherent protections related to moral code were surely still there, but they and anything else were not using my attention. This week I was probably thinking and feeling at the time that I was less under your influence than I probably really was. Even while I’m in the chair absorbing more suggestions than I seem to be able to recall, I have a side dialog going on wondering if I am hypnotized, how deeply, will we be moving to the table, etc. Being glued to the chair and forgetting a number showed me I was responding and unable to resist your suggestions, at least those suggestions, but my self-perception was that I was not all that deeply under even though I probably was.

Both ends have their usages. Having more influence than they realize can allow you to more effectively help cautious clients like the ones that just think of themselves as not having gone under and think that they only relaxed and listened even while they are acting on and incorporating the suggested improvements. For me, thinking and feeling that I’m deeply under is both satisfying and self-fulfilling. If I’m thinking that I’ll do anything you say then I’m not planning anything of my own and my inner dialog is replaced with a feeling of hanging on your every word,. The more I think I am in your control, the less I think, or at least the less I think of anything except being under your influence. The command/feeling of being fully in your control becomes a mantra that displaces all other thoughts except those I‘m receiving from your voice. In the not so logical world of our perceptions, when you hypnotize me into thinking I’m hypnotized you silence all other thoughts and probably also displace many barriers to change or release. Also, after the session the strong memories of feeling let go and in your control serve to relax me more effectively than anything else of which I am aware.

Being zapped at the door was nice. I probably approach each time with feelings of cautiousness and distance but being triggered not only brings back the hypnosis it also brings back the surrendered openness associated with when the trigger was given.

0 Comments:

Comments: Post a Comment